During the Second World War, with the transportation of various military supplies, especially high-precision electronic equipment as an incentive, MindlinLU of Bell Labs in the United States and the research group he led applied the vibration analysis theory in the mechanical field to the traditional In the field of packaging that relies on heuristics or empirical analysis and design, a unique cushion packaging theory has been formed.
In 1968, Newton proposed the theory of boundary conditions for the damage of packaging products, established the brittleness assessment theorem and its test method, which were included in the American Standard for Testing Materials (ASTM). The groundbreaking work of Mindlin and Newton laid the foundation for modern cushion packaging analysis and design.
In the 1980s, based on the boundary condition theory of brittle value, MTS Systems Co., Ltd. and Michigan State University School of Packaging jointly developed a 5-step design method for the cushion packaging, and later developed a more complete six-step cushion packaging design:
1. Determine the circulation environment conditions;
2. Product brittleness estimation;
3. Product redesign;
4. Calculation of cushion material;
5. Design packaging system;
6. The prototype of the packaging system was tested, and the ASTM standards that should be implemented in each step were given, so that the theory of the cushion packaging design was made rapid progress.
In the past ten years, scholars from all over the world, including Chinese packaging technology workers, have paid great attention and actively invested, which has greatly promoted the exchange and development of cushion packaging design theory. A series of important achievements have been made in the fields of shock and vibration response analysis of the system, the analysis and design model of the cushion packaging system, and the probabilistic design method of the cushion packaging.
In a word, in the more than 40 years since Mindlin published the paper, great progress has been made in the research on the design theory of cushion packaging, and the research on the mechanical characteristics of cushion materials, product brittle value evaluation, dynamic models and design methods has become more practical and accurate. The design practice of cushion packaging is also increasingly reasonable.
1. Established the theory of product buffering and vibration isolation;
2. Determine the maximum acceleration value that a large number of products can withstand without physical damage or functional failure, that is, product brittleness value;
3. All major industrial countries have successively carried out investigations and tests on the circulation environment, and have achieved great results, laying a solid foundation for the packaging and transportation tests of products;
4. Developed a lot of advanced packaging testing equipment, and applied the computer to packaging testing data processing and shock-proof packaging design;
5. Many countries have formulated various packaging standards for shock-proof cushion packaging.